Monday, August 20, 2012

06/07-06/10, 06/12-06/13, 06/15-19/2012


06/07/2012 - Flip Flop Hanger
This project is born from my Pinterest addiction. I have been wanting to try this, but didn't have any wire hangers, so the crafting gods intervened and I found some in the recycling bin at work. I used some big ol' beads on the ends, but it is such an easy, clever idea. Here is the link if you want to try: shoe hangers.








06/08/2012 - Round Braid Headband
I am in love with the idea of creating a useful item with only one material, ie: no wire, glue, etc. I started the headband by making a round braid and tying a knot. I crisscrossed pieces of inner tube to cut out to make some sort of flower or shape. I didn't finish it because it felt so clunky. I will end up taking it apart and using it's pieces. I am learning a lot about trial and error on my crafting journey.







06/09/2012 - Tubing Weave Revisited
Yes, this is the same project from 5/22. I am still determined to make this tubing work into a basket!!!











06/10/2012 - Wonky Box/Ball thingie
I am kind of embarrassed to show this picture. I had a little too much wine prior to making this. I have been making purses for years using a tab method, so I thought I would try to come up with a ball doing the same thing. Ehhhh (that is supposed to be the sound of the Jeopardy! buzzer going off for this project).






06/12/2012 - Map Flowers 
The goal for these flowers is to turn them into a ball to represent a globe. I keep getting maps from the Sierra Club, which are cool, but I think sending two or three maps to same person every year is excessive. 

These do remind me of my church days and missionary studies though. I can't help but think these would make great centerpieces for a missionary conference or banquet.

 



06/13/2012 - “To Go” Kit Coin Pouch
In case you are wondering about these SCRAP "To Go" kits I have referred to before, I am going talk a little bit about their awesomeness. If I were a poet, I would write sonnets proclaiming the wonder of these jam-packed tennis ball cans. I won this "To Go" kit right before I started working at SCRAP. I have managed to get goodies out for myself before Zoe got to them. (The pictures on the left shows all of the great things a wonderful SCRAP volunteer stuffed into the can.)


I took out the fabric bits and ribbon included in the can and they just happened to be the right sizes and cuts to make a little coin pouch. I used the leftover sticks from the Hard Rock Cafe jewelry I made and threaded it through the ribbon to make the mouth of the pouch and sewed on a little snap. Viola! A truly scrappy creation.








06/15, 06/16, 06/17/2012 - Rubber Friendship Bracelet 
I haven't made one of these since I was in high school. I feel like just about every girl, maybe even some boys, tried to make these at least once. I used to tie off the embroidery thread on a safety pin, attach the pin to something and start tying off the bracelet. I had some random bits of inner tube and gave this a try. It had a cool effect of coiling, but I had to keep going. Yes, I did spend three days making this. 







06/18/2012 - Rubber Tubing Celtic Knot
Again with this rubber tubing! I saw instructions for making a celtic knot on Pinterest. It kind of worked, but the knot wasn't as tight as I would have liked it to be. I thought it might make a cool necklace, but, again, the tubing didn't want to cooperate with me.




06/19/2012 - Mayo Ring Bracelet
My wonderful mother-in-law has been awesome about saving me discarded materials like plastic rings, newspaper bags and other fun goodies. I took a ring that she painstakingly removed from a jar and wrapped it with ribbon from the "To Go" kit and think it turned out pretty cute, if I do say so myself. And, I do say so myself.


No comments:

Post a Comment