Thursday, February 9, 2012

02/06/2012 - Cashmere Wrist Warmers

My mother-in-law is a fabulous crafter and let me go through some of her scraps for something I wanted to make for my niece for Christmas. Christmas came and went and I never got around to making these wrist warmers for my niece so I took the opportunity to make them as part of my New Year's challenge. They are really cozy though so maybe I will have to keep these for myself, tee hee hee.

Reclaimed Material: cashmere sweater scraps
Other/New Material: embroidery thread
Tools: scissors, needle

How I did it: I cut the scraps so the finished edges that were left would be the tops of the warmers and the top of the warmers each had a star on it. I made a simple pattern that measured about 5"x7" (there is a rudimentary pattern below if anyone wants to try this easy project). There were 4 pieces (2 for the left and 2 for the right. I put the wrong sides together and used the embroidery thread to sew the pieces together using a blanket stitch. After the pieces were sewn together, I sewed an "X" one inch inside the top right side of the left warmer and one inch inside the top left side of the right warmer.

What I would do differently: This project would have been much faster if I machine stitched them, but a) sitting and hand sewing is relaxing to me and b) I only finished one warmer on the 6th and finally finished the second one on the 8th. I will try this again with tops that fold over to make them mittens.

No comments:

Post a Comment