Thursday, February 9, 2012

02/07/2012 - Zipper Pull Jewelry

One thing I am going to miss being away from Chicago is Swap-O-Rama-Rama (if it is still going on) because of their great motto "creators not consumers". It is so easy to discard things once they are broken or we are tired of them. The zipper pull broke off my Timberland fleece (not that I would discard it), so I decided I would give it a little pizazz by making my own zipper pull. Plus Zoe noticed the pull was missing and she cutely noticed the new one I made.

Reclaimed Material: random metal bits, broken bracelet
Other/New Material: jewelry wire
Tools: pliers, pencil

How I did it: I chose the random bits of metal that I wanted to use - a little key, a metal oval from a piece of clothing, a zipper pull from a scrapped sweater, and little baubles from a broken bracelet. I wrapped the jewelry wire around the pencil twice to make the ring to put the items on and attach it to the zipper. I used the pliers to tamp down the ring to make it stronger (and also snip the wire) after I put it on the zipper.

What I would do differently: Not much to do differently with this except use different pieces. I was going to add a few more bits, but it seemed like overkill for a fleece.

1 comment: