Monday, January 16, 2012

01/09/2012 - Rubber Round Braided Bracelet

Round braiding is something I have wanted to figure out for a long time. I have only seen leather given this treatment, but thought rubber would work nicely as well.

Recycled Material: rubber bicycle inner tube
Other Material: none
Tools: scissors, safety pin

How I did it: As just about everyone does now days I turned to the internet on my quest to learn how to make a round braid. I came across some interesting instructions (even some for an adult harness made using round braids - yikes - ok, that was kind of amusing) but the clearest instructions I found were on eHow "How to Round Braid Leather". I cut the inner tube into 4 strips about 1/8" wide and about 18" long (longer than it needed to be) then followed the eHow instructions. The only thing I didn't do from the instructions was clamp it to a bench or table. Yes, I went through my friendship bracelet phase once upon a time so I just used a safety pin and pinned it to the knee of my jeans.

What I would do differently: I did try this with thinner strips originally, but they were square instead of flat so the strips kept twisting when I braided them and it was too small to tell during the braiding process. I am going to try doing this braid using more pieces and also experiment with the widths of the strips. I think it would be fun to see if I could incorporate beads into this too.

No comments:

Post a Comment