Sunday, January 29, 2012

01/28/2012 - Rubber "Film Strip" Cufflet

Third time is a charm...sometimes. My first try was a macrame-type bracelet from strips of inner tube that I just could not get to work just right. The second was using an X-acto knife to cute shapes into the rubber and still didn't look right. Finally, I just used a square craft punch and it turned out to look like a film strip.
 
Reclaimed Material: rubber inner tube, ribbon, snaps from SCRAP
Other/New Material: electrical tape
Tools: scissors, square craft punch, hammer and snap setter, hole punch

How I did it: I cut a piece of inner tube 1.25" x 8.25" for the base of the cufflet. I used the square craft punch and punched 5 squares evenly spaced on the rubber, leaving about an inch of rubber on both ends to set the snaps. I cut the ribbon 9.25" long and folded each end under .5" and lined it up with the rubber to make sure it was seen through the squares. I punched the holes for the snap placement through the ribbon and rubber and set the snaps. I cut the electrical tape into this strips and used the strips to hold the ribbon in place lengthwise.

What I would do differently: After I punched the squares and put the ribbon behind the rubber, it reminded me of film strip. I think it would be fun to use actual film instead of ribbon. I am also going to revisit my first two attempts for this day. I am 99% sure that other inner tube pieces I have seen are laser cut because I have tried for years to make intricate cuts into the rubber.

No comments:

Post a Comment