Thursday, January 19, 2012

01/17/2012 - Aluminum Animal Sculpture

My sweet grandmother-in-law, Betty June, showed me a picture of a sculpture she saw in a magazine of a horse made from a steel drum. She asked me to try to make something like it, so this is my rendition of it.

Recycled Material: aluminum tray
Other Material: none 
Tools: scissors


How I did it: The aluminum that I used was a mini loaf pan. I loosely folded the pan in half lengthwise being careful not to crease it. I pinched one side of the pan down for the head then cut the opposite side to make a tail. I cut up to what would have been the base of the loaf pan if it was still intact. I cut it a little bit wider than the end product to fold down to avoid sharp aluminum edges. I estimated the leg placement and cut it so there was enough aluminum to wrap the legs in a semi-cylinder. I also left extra aluminum to fold the edges along the body. I cut out the head shape on the pinched section of aluminum. After folding down all the sharp edges I made the legs then had to make sure the body kept it shape by loosely using my hands. I bent the front leg of the horse because it was not even with the rest.

What I would do differently: If I do try something like this again, I will use aluminum from a soda can because the pan aluminum is thinner and wrinkled. I think an elephant would be fun to try. 

No comments:

Post a Comment