Thursday, January 12, 2012

01/01/2012 - Rubber Cufflet

I guess you could call this a little bit of a cop out since I have made these a couple times before...but it has been a few years. For my first recycled craft I made for 2012, I made a recycled rubber inner tube cuff. I liked using this piece of rubber because it has a purple line running down the center.

Recycled Material:
rubber inner tube
Other Material: eyelets, snaps (for leather)
Tools: scissors, eyelet setter (or Crop-A-Dile), snap setter, hammer

How I did it: First I sliced the rubber to a 2" width then cut the length to fit my wrist leaving overlap to set the snaps. I always wash or wipe down the rubber because I have ended up with some gross stuff on my hands on other inner tube projects (the tubes usually have some kind of talc on the inside and dirt/oil/gunk on the outside...there is even sometimes green goo from people who temporarily fixed their flats). I used the directions included with the snaps, then marked where I wanted the snaps and set them...I probably could have gotten away with one since the snaps for leather are pretty heavy duty. I then marked the placement for the eyelets - one inch apart. I used my Crop-A-Dile (I highly recommend buying one when Michael's or JoAnn Fabrics has a 50% of coupon because I love mine) to punch the holes and set the eyelets.

What I would do differently: The thing that I did not like too much were the square eyelets because they were too chintzy (I think they were for scrapbooking). I will probably end up changing to a more sturdy round eyelet even though I like how the square ones look. I have a serious issue for using things for something other than their intended purpose.

No comments:

Post a Comment