Thursday, January 19, 2012

01/13/2012 - Rubber/Toy Wire Ring



I was still on my toy wire kick when I made this. I found a few pieces that I had saved that had a 2.5" plastic cover over it made me think of a ring...which led to the creation of this little guy.

Recycled Material: toy wire, small piece of rubber inner tube
Other Material: small beads, jewelry wire 
Tools: long nosed pliers, flower craft punch, scissors


How I did it: I used a flower-shaped craft punch to make two rubber flower shapes. This only required a couple inches of rubber so I used scraps from another project. If you don't have or want to buy a punch, scissors work just as well. I used the scissors to make a little hole in the center of both flowers to pull the wire through. I twisted two ends of the toy wire where the 2.5" cover met. This project would work just as well if you have toy wire without this random cover, just twist the toy wire where it will fit your finger. I then pulled both ends of the toy wire through the centers of both rubber pieces then gave the wire one more twist and separated the ends like in the picture. I put 4 small beads on a piece of jewelry wire and wrapped the wire so the beads were squared and then wrapped the wire from the bead around the two separated ends of the toy wire. I trimmed down the toy wire because I decided I liked the way the two pieces looked between the rubber and the beads.

What I would do differently: This is a repeat project but I will try some different designs on top next time. I am finding that this toy wire is really versatile, so next time you come across some, save it to use as a twist tie or to meet any of your small wiring needs. I also need to file down the ends of the toy wire pieces on top because the wire is sticking out the plastic a little.

No comments:

Post a Comment