Tuesday, January 24, 2012

01/23/2012 - License Plate Art

My original plan was to make a photo album using two of our old Illinois license plates. I started out by painting the plates (sorry Abe Lincoln) and cut out album sheets I got at the SCRAP store. It has been a very, very long time since I have had a chance to just sit and enjoy painting a non-house or child-related project. I really got into these paintings and stayed up way to late working on them. I couldn't bring myself to just turn the paintings into a photo album, so this project is just art.

Recycled Material: license plates
Other Material: paint
Tools: paint brushes, palette

How I did it: I don't think people realize just how dirty their license plates get until they have to remove them. I washed the plates then dried them to prepare them to paint. I used a thick acrylic paint, except for the silver paint. I painted about three coats as the base then let the paint dry. I then painted them with the design I wanted and let the pieces dry. The end...short and sweet.

What I would do differently: I am making a coordinating piece and will put them all together for the 1/24/12 project. There are a lot of cool things people do with license plates and maybe I will eventually make a license photo album since I already have the inserts ready to go.



        

No comments:

Post a Comment