Thursday, March 15, 2012

02/16/2012 - 100% Rubber Coin Purse

I made this cute little guy as a gift for my great aunt-in-law for her 91st birthday. I have to say that she and my grandmother-in-law are the cutest pair of ladies I have ever met. It is wonderful to see two ladies who have lived such full and interesting lives enjoying each others company.

Reclaimed Material: bicycle inner tube,
Other/New Material: none!
Tools: scissors, little bitty hold punch

How I did it: I had a fat inner tube that was rounded so I couldn't use it for my other projects. I sliced the inner part of the tube like a hot dog bun (impressive analogy, I know) for the base of the coin purse. I had to overlap separate pieces on each side to make the purse 3.5" high. I cut the pieces into a trapezoid shape with the top 4.5" wide and the bottom 5" wide. For the flap, I used a piece of the inner tube that had vertical lines on it and cut it to fit the top portion. Next I punched holes closely together around the sides and top, including the flap, and made sure that the holes lined up on each side. I punched the holes farther apart for the horizontal pieces. I cut long strips of rubber (a little skinnier than 1/16") to use as my "thread". I started by straight stitching the panels together for each side, but used the same piece of "thread" for the front and back, then tied the ends in a little bow on the back to give it a little whimsy. I then whip stitched up along one side and the top with the flap. Next I started at the bottom of the remaining side and whip stitched to the top and tied the ends of the "thread" together.

What I would do differently: I wouldn't change anything about this little purse. I love that it is sturdy and made with only rubber. I am also in love with the little bow.

No comments:

Post a Comment