Tuesday, March 20, 2012

03/01/2012 - Coffee Bag Sandwich Wrap

This kind of reminds me of the little leaf pouches the Hobbits had their bread wrapped in in the Lord of the Rings movies (nerd alert, I know). I heard a speaker at a conference complain about drink pouches and coffee bags because they are not something that can be recycled (as of now). They are a plastic/foil hybrid that can't really be separated. This material does have an interesting texture for crafting though. This is a good alternative to using plastic sandwich bags.

Reclaimed Material: coffee bag, Velcro
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors, glue

How I did it: I cut the coffee bag open and rinsed off the coffee residue. I trimmed the bag down to about 9" x 9". I turned the square so one of the corners was at the top. I folded the sides in so they overlapped then folded the top and bottom in so they overlapped as well. The Velcro was from a gift bag I used in another project, so I was able to peel one of the pieces off to stick to the coffee bag but had to glue the other Velcro piece onto the bag. I adhered one piece of the Velcro to the inside of the top fold and the other piece onto the outside of the bottom fold.

What I would do differently: I would probably cut the bag a little differently to fold down better. It would be neat to decorate the bag as well. Maybe paint it to look like Hobbit pouches.

No comments:

Post a Comment