Thursday, March 22, 2012

03/07/2012 - Number Wind Chime

My homage to the first home Jason, Zoe and I had together. When we were getting the house ready for sale, we changed out the house numbers to help boost our "curb appeal". I wanted to take a nice picture of this hanging outside, but living in Oregon, the rain has not allowed that yet.

Reclaimed Material: metal numbers, bike cog, brake wire
Other/New Material: none
Tools: metal clippers, pliers

How I did it: I cut two pieces of the brake wire--which I had untwisted and used a couple strands for each number because there are about 30 different metal threads on each piece of brake wire. I threaded both pieces of wire through the holes in the cog so they were evenly spaced then attached the numbers to each end of the two strands, staggering them in the house number order - 4715. I took another strand of the wire and used it to make a hanger for the wind chime. 

What I would do differently: I think some kind of chain would have worked better than the wire.

No comments:

Post a Comment