Tuesday, March 20, 2012

02/29/2012 - Telephone Book Origami

I can't remember the last time I used a telephone book to find a telephone number, but they always seem to be floating around. I think origami is such an interesting skill, so I thought I would practice and make my own sheets from the telephone book.

Reclaimed Material: telephone book pages
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors 

How I did it: I only remember one origami folding technique from when I was a kid, so I needed to beef up my repertoire via Google. There is a great site with thorough instructions with step-by-step pictures: Origami-Instructions.com. I cut the telephone book pages into 4"x4" squares. They were smaller than recommended, but they still worked. I created a little box and various flowers.

What I would do differently: Practice makes perfect, so I just need to keep experimenting with different folds. But I have to hand it to the Japanese culture for creating such a delicate craft.

No comments:

Post a Comment