Friday, March 30, 2012

03/08/2012 - Plastic Ornament

UPDATED: In case you already looked at this, I have updated it with pictures now....yeah me! I am not really sure what this should be called...so I am calling it an ornament. I have seen something similar with paper, so why not plastic?

Reclaimed Material: #2 plastic yellow and white containers, toy wire
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors, paper, hole punch

How I did it: I cut a stencil from the paper in the shape of an elongated eyeball - I believe that is the technical term, about 3" long. I cut out about 7 of these pieces in each color because I wasn't sure how many I would need. I punched holes on each end of the pieces. I bend the toy wire on one end and made a couple coils then pulled it through the holes on one end of the pieces, alternating the white and yellow. I pulled the piece from the bottom of the stack and pulled the wire through the hole on the other end, and continued this. I had to pinch the pieces so they would stay in place.

What I would do differently: Since I finally found the ornament this needed to be updated. Because of the thickness of the plastic I used the pieces stair stepped so when the last piece and the first piece met, there was a gap. I think a thinner plastic should be used or the pieces need to be cut bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment