Monday, March 19, 2012

02/22/2012 - Mylar Balloon Camera Sleeve

Crafting on a road trip is not the easiest thing to do, well at least to do well. I had to get creative on this one. I found a Mylar balloon in the stockpile of goodies my sister had for me and combined it with a pair of disposable chopsticks (how is that for ingenuity?) from my mom to work on this project.

Reclaimed Material: Mylar balloon, potato chip bag
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors, wooden chopsticks

How I did it: Starting at the top of the balloon I cut into one side of the balloon and began cutting a horizontal strip then continued cutting it like an apple core to use as my "yarn". Using the chopsticks as my needles, I started knitting the balloon to make a sleeve for my sister's camera. The seams of the Mylar came apart in a couple places so I had to tie the pieces together. Unfortunately, I ran out of the Mylar before I was able to finish. Julie suggested using a chip bag to finish so I started the same process as with the Mylar and knitted the chip bag onto the Mylar. I used the potato chip "yarn" too stitch the piece into a sleeve.

What I would do differently: I have a habit of knitting really tightly, so chopsticks didn't really help. Using real knitting needles would be easier next time. (The picture was taken before the chip bag was added.)

No comments:

Post a Comment