Wednesday, March 21, 2012

03/06/2012 - Small Magazine Bowl

Junk mail is annoying, but catalogs are fun to look at. Patagonia catalogs have some amazing photography, so even though it can just be recycled, it is nice to give it another life.

Reclaimed Material: magazine pages
Other/New Material: none
Tools: glue, paintbrush, little cup

How I did it: I tore out pages from the catalog, picking out colors that stood out to me. I folded each sheet (3 of them) in half, then in half again, then in half again, etc., etc., etc., until it was about half an inch thick. I poured some glue in the little cup and added a little water to it. I painted the glue onto one of the folded strips then started coiling it, adding more glue as necessary. I added on another strip once I reached the end of the first and made the coil for the bottom about 2" in diameter then started winding the strips up for the sides of the bowl, continually adding glue.

What I would do differently: Just like some of my other projects, this is one that just requires some practice. I will probably do some variations of this project. I haven't made paper beads in a few years, so that could be on April's agenda.

No comments:

Post a Comment