Thursday, March 15, 2012

02/18/2012 - Mittens!

My little kitten had lost her mittens, so I was going to buy her a new pair then thought, "What am I doing? Why don't I make them?" I used some fleece scraps from a Christmas project. Zoe did tell me when the Three Little Kittens song was playing "those kittens aren't supposed to wear mittens when they eat pie!" Oh the wisdom of a 3 year old.

Reclaimed Material: scrap fleece
Other/New Material: thread
Tools: scissors, sewing machine, needle

How I did it: I used a lonely mitten that had lost its mate as a template and cut out the pieces. I was finally able to use the selvage edge for the whites of the eyes and also cut out black circles for the eyes and yellow for the beak. I wanted the mittens to be ducks to go with the Oregon Ducks fleece (Go Ducks!). I hand stitches the face to the tops of the mittens, then machined stitched the mittens together and folded up the bottoms and stitched to finish. 

What I would do differently: I cut the fleece a little bigger than the knit mitten I used as a template, but forgot to factor in the stretchiness of the knit vs. the non-stretchy fleece. I would probably add elastic around the bottom too.

1 comment:

  1. i am having so much fun reading your posts and seeing your incredible works of art but by far, this one is my favorite!! :)

    ReplyDelete