Thursday, March 15, 2012

02/17/2012 - Coffee Bag Ring

This is a throw back to the folding gum wrappers in school thing. Way to reuse gum wrappers kiddos! There are some awesome candy wrapper and chip bag purses that people make using this technique, but I don't really have the gumption to make one myself. I was going to make a bracelet, but gave in to just making a ring. Please pardon the seriously dry hand picture.

Reclaimed Material: coffee bag
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors

How I did it: Since I didn't use gum wrappers I had to cut the coffee bag into strips, obviously. I cut the strips 1/2" tall about 2.5" wide. I didn't use a ruler, so I just eyeballed a template and cut them all the same size. I followed these instructions (it has been many, many years since doing this in school): gum wrapper chain instructions. Circling the ends together was a little tricky. Quite frankly it has been a few weeks since I did this so I don't remember exactly what I did, but I think I had to take one end of an inserted half to wrap through the other end and tucked or something like that.

What I would do differently: I might try this technique again to make a bracelet with another material. The pieces seemed too thick when folded and tucked, so next time I will cut them thinner and make less folds.

No comments:

Post a Comment