Sunday, April 1, 2012

03/16/2012 - Seamstress' Bracelet

The problem with volunteering at SCRAP is that I always have to buy something. I found a vintage tape measure which led me to for metal bobbins to make this bracelet. I checked for bobbins for weeks before I hit the jackpot and found about 12 of them there.

Reclaimed Material: vintage tape measure, old bobbins
Other/New Material: snap, thread
Tools: scissors, needle

How I did it: I looped the tape measure around the middle of each bobbin and just did a simple tie off for each. I tried to make sure the bobbins were evenly spaced so having a tape measure as the base made this easier. After it was the length I wanted it to be I trimmed off the excess tape measure, but left an extra inch to fold over to attach the snap. I used black thread and lined up my stitches with the measure marks so they wouldn't stand out.

What I would do differently: I wanted to use a heavy duty snap but I didn't have the one small enough, so I ended up using a little sewing snap.

No comments:

Post a Comment