Tuesday, April 3, 2012

03/31/2012 - Cardboard Gift Tube

Three months of recycled crafting down! Only nine more to go! 

The nice thing about being a garbage picker/collector is that people save me their nice garbage they think I can use. Grandma Betty June gave me this neat little tube with a lid and bottom, but she didn't remember what she got in it. I wasn't sure what I was going to do with it until I went to a fancy little chocolate shop that also sells beautiful paper crafts with a French theme to them and they had these on sale for $10. 

Reclaimed Material: cardboard tube, scrap paper
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors, glue, brown shoe polish, gold paint pen, thin wire

How I did it: The base of the tube was glued on so I used a little wire to pull the edges away a little so I could tuck the paper under it. I used a bit of paper leftover from my SCRAP name badge project and cut it to cover the tube and glue it on. I painted parts of the instruments with the gold. I rubbed the shoe polish lightly over the paper to give it a vintage look. I used my finger as a paintbrush and lightly rubbed gold paint over the whole piece.

What I would do differently: It seems like the tube is missing something...like a pop of mauve or something. I also should have used tea to stain the paper. I do want to learn to do more vintage, Victorian-era, turn of the (19th) century crafts.

No comments:

Post a Comment