Sunday, April 8, 2012

04/06/2012 - Paper Mache Eggs

I got the family involved in this craft...and we had a messy, fun time of it. I haven't done paper mache since grade school, but what a festive use of newspaper.

Reclaimed Material: newspaper 
Other Material: balloons
Tools: scissors, all-purpose glue, mixing bowl, little bowls 

How I did it: I squirted the glue in the mixing bowl, added water and mixed it up thoroughly. I cut the newspaper into strips (about 3/4" x 4") and put them in the glue mixture to soak. I lined the table with newspaper (which really didn't help). We blew up the balloons to different sizes to make our egg shapes. We used the little bowls as stands to hold the balloons in place and began placing the soaked strips over the balloon to cover the entire surface, turning the balloon as needed. We repeated the steps so there were three layers of newspaper on each balloon. We left the tied end of the balloon uncovered. After the balloons fully dried (about 18 hours) and popped the balloons and pulled them out through the uncovered hole.

What I would do differently: I should have used a little bit more glue in the mixture, but we still had a good time getting ready for Easter.

No comments:

Post a Comment