Friday, April 13, 2012

04/10/2012 - Copper and Rubber Wristband

For Christmas I made various handbags as gifts for people, including one with rubber inner tubes. I thought I had measured the purse handle length incorrectly and trimmed off the excess...only to find out it was too short. To make my long story even longer, I had a leftover bit of rubber with fabric stitched to it. I need to make a longer purse handle, so I will have more pieces like this if I want to make more. I do like this wristband a lot and have been wearing it all day.

Reclaimed Material: scrap rubber/fabric piece, button, copper wire
Other Material: none
Tools: scissors, needle, thread, pliers

How I did it: I threaded the copper wire through a large-eyed needle and used it to whip stitch the unfinished ends of the rubber on both ends. I flattened the wire by tamping it down with the pliers. I placed the button and sewed it onto the rubber then cut a slip for the button hole that corresponded with the button placement. I used black thread to cover the button hole.

What I would do differently: I could have done the button hole stitching with a sewing machine, but by the time I got the right tension, etc. it was just easier to stitch it by hand. Also, the copper whip stitches could have been a little bit neater, but it is an effect I want to keep practicing.

No comments:

Post a Comment