Monday, April 2, 2012

03/25/2012 - New Rubber Canvas Project

This is a project I have been wanting to do for quite a while now...the finished art not the frame. This is a piece I ended up submitting for a show, but I am waiting to hear back whether or not it has been accepted. 

Reclaimed Material: rubber inner tubes, wooden frame
Other/New Material: staples
Tools: scissors, staple gun

How I did it: I cut the rubber into thin strips. There are lines on the rubber that I used as guides. I started by stapling the strips along the top edge of the frame then pulling them taut over the front of the frame then stapled them to the bottom. I then stapled a row of strips along one side of the frame. Furthermore (writing so many "I"s and "next"s is getting boring), I began to weave the strips through to the other side then stapled each strip as it was pulled through.

What I would do differently: I need to remember to take pictures of my projects when I finish them for the day since some are taking longer than a day to finish. This is just a corner of the finished piece, but this picture gives a general idea. 

No comments:

Post a Comment