Sunday, April 29, 2012

04/20/2012 - Bike Ring Pendant


My collection of random bicycle parts has grown over the years and I as I have said before bicycle parts are my favorite medium. Even though I have been holding onto this bit for quite a while I had to ask Jason what this part was called. Oh, it is a cassette lock ring, but you probably knew that already.


Reclaimed Material: bicycle cassette lock ring, game marble
Other Material: resin
Tools: electrical tape, mixing cups


How I did it: I taped the electrical tape to the back of the ring to trap the resin. I mixed the resin and poured it into the ring. I gently set the game marble into the resin then let it set. 

What I would do differently: There were a couple mistakes in this little project. I had filled the ring with resin to the brim so it would have that nice rounded look to it. It looked beautiful until I placed the marble in it and I had a big "duh" moment when the resin spilled over the edge. The electrical tape left a sticky residue on the back of the resin, so I need to figure out another way to trap the resin in the ring. Ideally I would like to fill the rings with glass, but don't have the skill level to try that yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment