Sunday, April 8, 2012

04/04/2012 - Doll Skin Ring

I was cleaning the gunk out of my wedding band and one of the diamonds popped out. Thank goodness I was able to find the diamond before it disappeared. This is my replacement until I get the ring fixed...well not really, but the lack of a ring was my inspiration.

Reclaimed Material: discarded doll arm
Other Material: sparkly scrapbooking brad
Tools: scissors, sandpaper, super glue, X-acto

How I did it: I cut a ring from a baby doll arm using regular scissors. It is the same concept as the doll skin tattoo bracelet. I smoothed the edges with the sand paper and shaped it at the same time. I then removed the legs of the brad and noticed there were little prongs holding a plastic sparkle in place. I raised the prongs to insert into the ring and poked shallow slits where the prongs would be when pressed against the ring. I put a dab of super glue where the sparkle was going and pressed it into the ring and let it dry. 

What I would do differently: I am not really a fan of this ring...this would have been better if I had just drawn a design on it. There does not seem to be enough contrast on the "skin" with the brad on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment