Wednesday, April 4, 2012

04/01/2012 - Bicycle Basket

This was a new basket that was turned into a recycled project. That normally goes against what I am trying to do, but this was for Jason's coworker. I guess she loves this style but the plastic weaving would always come loose, so she wanted it woven with rubber. I am a bit surprised at the transformation of this basket...it is cute as a button.

Reclaimed Material: rubber inner tubes, button
Other/New Material: plastic bicycle basket, safety pin
Tools: scissors

How I did it: I removed the plastic weaving from the basket then washed and cut strips of rubber to the same size as the plastic weaving I removed. I began weaving along the bottom and worked my way to the top. (The white vertical lines in the picture are part of the basket frame. I wrapped the top edge with rubber. I cut wider pieces of rubber and folded them in half, lengthwise, and did a twisty braid along the bottom and the top of the basket. I cut two different sized circles and cut them into flowers. I put the smaller one over the larger one and poked a small hole in the center and pushed the button (the kind with the mount on the back) through. I pulled the button notch through two lines in the weave and pinned it in place.

What I would do differently: I want to figure out how to make bicycle baskets using old bicycle spokes, but I think the spokes would need to be welded together. I couldn't resist adding the flower to the basket...I hope the coworker likes it.

Before
After

No comments:

Post a Comment