Thursday, April 5, 2012

04/03/2012 - Cassette Cash Stasher

My improvisational skills are improving through my daily crafts. The original plan was this for to be a business card holder, but there wasn't quite enough room inside for cards. Folded up money fits just perfectly. Plus, who would think to check inside a cassette tape for your money? They would probably leave you money out of pity that you still listen to cassette tapes. It is just a win-win situation all around.

Reclaimed Material: cassette tape
Other/New Material: none
Tools: scissors, screwdriver, electrical tape, paint pens, pliers

How I did it: I unscrewed the teeny screws that held the cassette together and removed the "guts". There were little sticks (no clue what those little things are called) that held the tape together so I used the pliers to pry them off. I cut a strip of electrical tape the width of the tape and stuck it on the top edge of the cassette to work as a hinge. I opened the cassette and lined the inside of the "hinge" with electrical tape. I painted the tape label and let it dry. I did not need to make a latch or closure because it clicked into place when I closed it. 

What I would do differently: My original thought was to cut off the hinges of an Altoids tin, but that was not so easy, so I trashed (giggle, giggle) that idea and went with the tape. If I made something like this again I would figure out a better hinge solution. I will probably do something with the guts sometime soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment