Sunday, April 8, 2012

04/07/2012 - Chickadees

Easter chickadees! I made these little cuties for Easter baskets.

Reclaimed Material: scrap fabrics
Other Material: none
Tools: scissors, sewing machine, fabric marker, thread, needle 

How I did it: I put two right sides of the scraps and eyeballed the shape of a chickadee and cut it out. I repeated this three more times, making each subsequent one smaller. The scraps I used for the bodies were fleece and cashmere. I used satiny fabric and cut out the wings and beaks for each side of each bird. Using a zigzag stitch I top stitched the wings on the right side of each body. For the larger two chickadees I stitched on beaks because the little ones had black lines where the beaks were which worked nicely for me. I put the right sides together then stitched them all around, but left an opening at the bottoms to stuff them. I turned them right sides out and stuffed with other fabric scraps. With a needle and thread I whip stitched the bottoms closed. With the fabric marker I made little dots for the eyes.

What I would do differently: Although I don't enjoy using patterns I probably should have used a simple pattern. One of the smaller ones looks a bit deformed. Why is it the smaller the something is the cuter it is?

No comments:

Post a Comment