Friday, April 13, 2012

04/11/2012 - Sparkly Z Necklace

SCRAP had gotten in a donation of sparkly charms and they had a lot of "Z"s. I though it would be cute to make a stretchy bracelet for Zoe to wear...but she did not approve and insisted she only wanted one "Z". She also asked me where the "O" and "E" were. Isn't she...wait for it...charming?

Reclaimed Material: rubber, sparkly "Z" charm, necklace clasp
Other Material: jewelry wire
Tools: scissors, safety pin, jewelry pliers

How I did it: For the necklace, I did a round braid to fit Zoe. I slid on the sparkly "Z" to the center of the necklace before I added the closures. I slid the jewelry clasp over the wire and made a loop and pulled it through an opening at one end of the braid (about 1/4" down) so the clasp came out the end and enough wire was left hanging out of the opening. I wound the extra wire up to the end, trimmed the excess and tucked in the end of the wire. I did the same thing on the other end, except I didn't add a clasp and I made a double loop a little bit bigger than the other side.

What I would do differently: I did try to incorporate the charm into the braid, but it didn't look quite right. I think a thinner braid would be much better, but this size works for my picky little diva.

No comments:

Post a Comment